Ode to the Sea Catalog
The catalog for the exhibit will be published as a special edition of Postprint Magazine, and will include:
- an essay, also published in the New York Times, by former detainee Mansoor Adayfi on the meaning of the sea to prisoners at Guantánamo
- a poem by Natasha Trethewey, winner of the Pulitzer Prize and the 19th U.S. Poet Laureate
- a poem by Jericho Brown, "Second Language"
- two poems by Charles Shields, “Obedience” and “Resistance”
- a formal analysis of the artworks by Paige Laino
- an exchange of letters on art-making between detainee Muhammad Ansi and artist Gail Rothschild
- a poem by detainee Ibrahim al Rubaish, “Ode to the Sea” (reprinted from Poems from Guantanamo: The Detainees Speak)
- an interview with lawyers for detainees on the history of art-making at Guantánamo
- ... and more artwork, poetry, and essays, to be announced soon.